American Financier and Banker who Dominated Corporate Finance and Industrial Consolidation
- A man always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason.
- Any man who has to worry about the annual upkeep of his yacht can’t afford to own one.
- Any man who is bearish on the United States will go broke.
- Anyone can be a millionaire, but to become a billionaire you need an astrologer.
- Don’t sell American short.
- Everyone has a price, you just have to find out what it is.
- Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you’ll be able to see farther.
- I am not a good judge of men. My first guess is sometimes right. My second never is.
- I feel bound in honour when I reorganise a property and am morally responsible for its management, to protect it – and I generally do protect it.
- If it is good business for the interests of the country to do it, I do it.
- If you have to ask how much it costs, you can’t afford it.
- If you have to ask how much they cost, you can’t afford one.
- If you want time to pass quickly, just give a banker your note for 90 days.
- I hire a lawyer to tell me how I can do what I want to do!
- I’ll go to jail rather than discuss my personal affairs.
- I made a fortune getting out too soon.
- I owe the public nothing.
- It was not really a question of price. It was a question of success.
- It will fluctuate (When asked what the stock market will do).
- Money equals business which equals power, all of which come from character and trust.
- My first guess is sometimes right. My second never is.
- Never sell a bear on the United States.
- No problem can be solved until it is reduced to some simple form. The changing of a vague difficulty into a specific, concrete form is a very essential element in thinking.
- Of all forms of tyranny the least attractive and the most vulgar is the tyranny of mere wealth, the tyranny of plutocracy.
- Remember, my son, that any man who is a bear on the future of this country will go broke.
- The ability to obtain credit is largely a matter of personality.
- The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are.
- The first thing [in credit] is character…before money or anything else. Money cannot buy it… A man I do not trust could not get money from me on all the bonds in Christendom. I think that is the fundamental basis of business.
- The first thing is character…Money cannot buy it.
- The wise man bridges the gap by laying out the path by means of which he can get from where he is to where he wants to go.
- Well, I don’t know as I want a lawyer to tell me what I cannot do. I hire him to tell how to do what I want to do.
- When a man abuses his power, he loses it.
- When I have business on hand I think it is better to have it done quickly.
- When the house is on fire good girls have to get out as well as the bad ones.
- When you expect things to happen – strangely enough – they do happen.
- You are rich when you can buy what you want…
- You can’t pick cherries with you back to the tree.